Sony DSC-W830 Overview
The black DSC-W830 Digital Camera from Sony is a pocket-sized point-and-shoot featuring a 20.1MP, 1/2.3″, Super HAD CCD image sensor and BIONZ processor for high-resolution still photos, HD 1280 x 720p video recording at 30 fps, and low-light sensitivity to ISO 3200. The 8x optical zoom, 4.5-36mm Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens offers a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-200mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives, and an aperture range of f/3.3-6.3.
The camera is equipped with a 2.7″, 230k-dot Clear Photo LCD monitor providing sharp, natural color that makes it easy to compose shots, read menus, and view photos, even in bright sunlight. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization counteracts camera shake for clear, blur-free shots. Additionally, benefit from Sweep Panorama shooting up to 360°, allowing you to capture an entire landscape in a single shot.
Files are recorded to MS Duo or SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards. The DSC-W830 is configured with a USB 2.0 port and composite HD and SD outputs. It’s powered by the 3.6V, 630mAh NP-BN lithium-ion battery.
- 20.1MP Super HAD CCD Sensor
- The 20.1MP, 1/2.3″, Super HAD CCD image sensor with RGB primary color mosaic filters helps you capture sharp pictures with superb contrast, clarity and detail. It works with the BIONZ processor to produce high-resolution still photos, HD 1280 x 720p video recording at 30 fps, and low-light sensitivity to ISO 3200. The high 20.1MP resolution is great for cropping and creating photo-quality prints up to A3+ (13×19″) size.
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens
- Effective focal length of 4.5-36mm covers wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. Shooting still images at a 4:3 aspect ratio, the 35mm-equivalent focal length range is 25-200mm. For movies at 4:3, it’s 34-272mm with SteadyShot image stabilization set to Standard mode, and 34-381 with SteadyShot set to Active mode. The equivalent focal length is 28-224mm for 16:9 stills, and 16:9 movies with SteadyShot Standard, or 28-314mm for movies with SteadyShot Active. At the wide end, the aperture is f/3.3, and it can be stopped down to f/6.3.
- 2.7″ LCD Monitor
- The 2.7″, 230k-pixel Clear Photo LCD monitor provides sharp, natural color that makes it easy to compose shots, read menus, and view photos, even in bright sunlight. It also features a grid display.
- Focus Control
- Multi-point, center-weighted, spot, tracking and face tracking autofocus / AF modes are available. Face Detection can recognize up to 8 faces and adjust focus, exposure and white balance. It includes automatic, child and adult priority settings. Additionally, benefit from an automatic AF illuminator that can be turned on or off.
- Sweep Panorama
- Reach beyond the traditional wide-angle lens, and capture more expansive, breathtaking shots with Sweep Panorama mode. Take advantage of up to 360° coverage. Simply press the shutter button and sweep the camera in the desired direction, and the camera continuously shoots at a high speed, then seamlessly stitches the images together with automatic position adjustment to create one stunning panoramic image.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- O.S.S. image stabilization counteracts the effects of camera shake for clear, blur-free shots. The 2-way Active Mode gives you the freedom to shoot movies even while walking or running, and corrects for both vertical and horizontal motion.
- Video Recording
- Capture MP4 movies in HD 720p resolution at 30 fps. Benefit from full use of optical zoom while recording. Files are small enough to transfer easily to compatible PCs or Mac computers for saving and uploading to photo and video-sharing websites, such as Facebook, Photobucket and YouTube.
- Additional Shooting Modes and Advanced Features
- Benefit from shooting tips, and count on Intelligent Auto to make the tough decisions for you, choosing the optimal settings for a given scene by recognizing attributes like lighting conditions and faces. This results in clear images, faces with natural skin tones, and reduced blur. Blink detection helps you ensure that you capture everyone in the shot with eyes open, and Smile Shutter technology captures a smile the moment it happens. You can also select adult and child priority and indicate the degree of Smile Detection sensitivity. Intelligent Scene Recognition can now be used together with Smile Shutter mode when the Intelligent Auto mode is on. This means that beautiful smiles can be captured with settings optimized for the particular scene, even in difficult conditions such as twilight and backlighting. Additionally, there is a self-timer option with 10 sec, 2 sec, portrait 1 and portrait 2 settings.
- The Advanced Flash feature allows you to shoot bright, beautifully lit photos by extending the range of the built-in flash.
- In-Camera Editing
- Enhance your images with built-in effects that adjust skin tone and texture, or even whiten teeth. The D-Range Optimizer function instantaneously analyzes and automatically corrects the captured image data for optimal exposure and tone reproduction, removing portions that are darker than they would appear to the human eye. Standard, plus and off are the available D-range settings. Trimming and Unsharp Masking are also available in the edit menu. Picture Effect adds a new level of expression to photos, making ordinary landscapes and portraits come to life by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. Beauty Effects allow you to edit skin tones and skin smoothness or remove shine. You can also widen eyes and whiten teeth. Beauty Effects can be combined to further enhance the image.
- Erase and protect options offered include single, select, date and folder.
- Runs on the 3.6V NP-BN lithium-ion battery, which has a typical capacity of 630mAh and power rating of 2.3Wh, with minimum values of 600mAh and 2.2Wh. In operation, the camera consumes about 1.2W. It also has a Power Save Mode with Standard, Max and off options.