Nikon SB-910 Overview
Among Nikon’s largest on-camera flash units, the SB-910 AF Speedlight brings with it excellent power, a plethora of features, and a Commander mode for wireless TTL control. The flash is compatible with the i-TTL system for automatic metering with both FX- and DX-format cameras and is a part of the Nikon Creative Lighting System for complete control over your lighting setup. Also, it features a guide number of 111.5′ at ISO 100 and 35mm for illuminating your subjects. Additionally, the auto zoom head has a coverage range of 17-200mm with FX-format cameras which can be extended down to 12mm with the use of the built-in wide-angle diffusion panel.
Complete bounce and swivel functionality is available for working in a variety of shooting situations. This allows users to tilt down to -7° and up to 90° as well as rotate left or right 180° for complete 360° coverage. Also, the SB-910 has three different illumination patterns, standard, even, and center-weighted, which help shape the light output for your specific needs. For wireless master TTL functionality, the speedlight utilizes a Commander Mode. In this mode users can access Advanced Wireless Lighting settings for controlling multiple off-camera flashes that can be set up in 3 groups (A, B, C) and one of 4 channels.
Many other abilities are packed into this unit, including a stroboscopic repeating flash mode that can be set from 1-100 Hz. The SB-910 also has slow, Auto FP high-speed, first, and second curtain sync modes for achieving the desired creative look in your image. There are even red-eye reduction and red-eye reduction slow sync settings available. The flash itself is mounted to the camera or stand with a locking hot shoe and is powered by 4 AA batteries. Depending on the type of battery used and the power setting, users can expect a recycle time of 2.3-4.5 seconds. The SB-910 can also work as the master unit in SU-4 type wireless multiple flash-unit photography.
Included with the SB-910 AF Speedlight are a variety of useful tools and accessories. First, built into the flash alongside the wide-angle diffusion panel is a white slide-out bounce card for bouncing some light directly to the subject and creating catch lights. Also, there is a diffusion dome for softening the output of the flash and fluorescent and incandescent color correction filters for balancing the flash to ambient light. All of these, along with a stand, are packaged in the SS-910 Soft Case, designed specifically for the SB-910 and accessories.
- Guide number at the 35mm zoom position measures 111.5′ at ISO 100 and 157.5′ at ISO 200
- Manual power output from 1/1 full power to 1/128 power
- Light distribution angle is automatically adjustable to the camera’s image area in both FX and DX formats
- Auto zoom head reaches from 17-200mm with FX format and 12-200mm with DX format
- Coverage of 12-17mm in FX and 8-11mm in DX when using built-in wide-angle diffusion panel
- Thermal cut-out protection has been improved since previous models to allow for more flashes before overheating
- Flash head tilts with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45 °, 60°, 75°, and 90°
- Flash head rotates left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°, 150°, and 180°
- Distance range of 2-66′
- Flash exposure compensation from -3 to +3 EV in 1/3 EV steps
- Backlit LCD panel with nine selectable contrast levels and a rotating dial assist in viewing flash status and changing settings
- Nineteen custom settings
- Flash duration of 1/880 to 1/38,500 second depending on output setting
- Works with SK-6 Power Bracket Unit, SD-9 High-Performance Battery Pack, and SD-8A High-Performance Battery Pack
- Flash-ready indicator lights
- AF-assist light, modeling illuminator, monitor pre-flashes, and test firing settings
- Automatic color filter detection for adjusting the camera’s color temperature settings
- Firmware can be updated through camera