Nikon 24-85mm F/2.8-4.0 Overview
A simple yet sophisticated standard zoom, the AF Zoom-NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF from Nikon is a wide-angle to portrait-length zoom well-suited to a wide variety of shooting applications. The optical design incorporates a pair of aspherical elements to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations in order to render greater sharpness and clarity. A Super Integrated Coating has also been applied to minimize reflections and flare for increased contrast when working in backlit and harsh lighting. The lens’s internal focusing AF system affords quick and precise control, and manual focus adjustment is also available. Additionally, a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes a smooth and pleasing bokeh quality to suit shallow depth of field techniques.
- Standard zoom is designed for FX-format F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 36-127.5mm.
- Bright f/2.8-4 maximum aperture range suits working in low-light and also offers increased control over depth of field.
- Two aspherical elements are used to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- A Super Integrated Coating has been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Internal focusing AF system is compatible with select Nikon DSLRs that support D-type lenses, and offers quick and precise focusing performance.
Autofocus is not supported by DSLRs lacking an autofocus motor, such as the D3000-series, D5000-series, D40, D40X, and D60, where the lens may be used with manual focus only.
- At the 85mm focal length position, a maximum magnification of 1:2 with a minimum focusing distance of 7.9″ is available for working with close-up subjects.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.