Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 Overview
The AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens from Nikon is a versatile telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with both FX and DX-sized image sensors. This lens features an extensive zoom range of 80-400mm, with the DX-format equivalent of 120-600mm, encompassing both portrait and long-reaching telephoto focal lengths to suit working with a variety of subjects. Capture portraits with softly blurred backgrounds and get close-up telephoto shots of faraway subjects with or without a tripod.
The lens construction integrates one super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) and four ED glass elements to help minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and contribute to higher image sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity. The Nano Crystal Coat reduces surface reflections, helping to prevent lens flare and ghosting for greater contrast and enhanced light transmission.
Built-in Vibration Reduction image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake up to the equivalent of four shutter speed steps. A dedicated VR setting for tripods is available for producing the sharpest imagery possible without countering the effects of the image stabilization system.
In addition to regular autofocus and manual focus, two other focusing modes are available: A/M (Auto-Priority Manual Mode) enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation, while M/A (autofocus with manual override, MF priority) allows switching from AF to MF with no lag time by just turning the focusing ring. Transitioning between these focusing modes can be done quickly and precisely.
The Silent Wave Motor (SWM) focusing system uses ultrasonic vibrations to provide quick, quiet, smooth and precise auto focusing performance that is ideal for use in video and subject-tracking. Internal focusing maintains an overall compact lens form-factor, enables faster performance, and allows for a closer focusing distance.
- Extensive Telephoto Zoom Focal Range
- Covers the broadest focal length range of any NIKKOR super-telephoto zoom lens. At 80mm, it’s an ideal medium-telephoto portrait lens and at 400mm it’s a powerful super-telephoto lens suited to wildlife and action photography, with or without a tripod. When used on DX-format DSLRs its 35mm focal length equivalence is 120-600mm.
- ED and Super ED Glass Elements
- One super Extra-low dispersion and four ED glass elements help reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and produce higher image sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity.
- SIC and Nano Crystal Coatings
- The multilayer Super Integrated Coating is applied to the individual optical elements, as is a Nano Crystal Coat to minimize surface reflections across a wide range of wavelengths and prevent lens flare and ghosting–resulting in greater overall contrast and light transmission.
- Vibration Reduction
- Built-in image stabilization counteracts the effects of camera shake, allowing you to shoot at shutter speeds up to four times slower than would otherwise be possible. A dedicated VR setting for tripods gives you the sharpest imagery possible without working against the image stabilization system.
- Focusing Modes
- In addition to regular autofocus and manual focus, two other focusing modes are available: A/M (Auto-Priority Manual Mode) enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation, with a low possibility of unintentional switching, while M/A (autofocus with manual override, MF priority) allows switching from AF to MF with virtually no lag time by turning the focusing ring–letting you seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the camera’s viewfinder. Transitioning between these focusing modes is controlled by a rocker switch on the lens barrel for quick switching and greater precision depending on the subject matter being photographed.
- SWM (Silent Wave Motor)
- Utilizes ultrasonic vibrations to provide quick, quiet, smooth and precise auto focusing performance that is ideal for use with video and subject-tracking applications.
- Internal Focusing
- Employed in order to maintain an overall compact lens form-factor and to produce faster performance. The lens will not change in size during AF operation, enabling a closer focusing distance without the danger of damaging the lens’ front element. Distance information is displayed on an analog scale through a sealed window.
- Focus Limiter Switch
- A focus limiter switch on the lens barrel allows you to set a predetermined focus range for faster focusing. The two ranges are Full (5.7′ to infinity) and Partial (19.7′ to infinity).
- Zoom Lock
- A zoom lock switch on the lens barrel keeps the lens set on an established focal length to prevent changes when moving the lens.
- Tripod Collar
- A detachable, rotating tripod collar is included for stable use with a tripod or monopod.