Nikon 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5 Overview
Spanning a useful range, the AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR from Nikon covers wide-angle to portrait-length focal lengths to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The optical design incorporates three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element, which help to greatly reduce spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. A Super Integrated Coating also minimizes surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy. Complementing the optics, this lens also sports a Silent Wave Motor for fast and accurate autofocus along with VR II image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake by four stops.
- Standard zoom is designed for FX-format F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 36-127.5mm equivalent focal length range.
- Three aspherical elements are used to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- One extra-low dispersion element greatly reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- A Super Integrated Coating has been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by four stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.