Nikon 200-400mm F/4.0 Overview
Covering an impressive range of telephoto focal lengths, the AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II from Nikon is a versatile zoom well-suited for sports and wildlife shooting. A constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent illumination throughout the zoom range and this relatively bright design also offers increased control over depth of field. An advanced optical design, which includes four extra-low dispersion elements, produces a highly corrected image quality that is void of chromatic aberrations and color fringing for notable clarity and color accuracy. Additionally, both a Nano Crystal Coat and a Super Integrated Coating have been applied to control flare and ghosting for improved contrast in backlit and harsh lighting conditions. Complementing the optics, this lens also sports a Silent Wave Motor for fast and accurate autofocus along with VR II image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake by three stops.
- Telephoto zoom is designed for FX-format F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it will provide a 300-600mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent illumination throughout the zoom range and also affords greater control over depth of field for isolating subjects and working with selective focus techniques.
- Four extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Both a Nano Crystal Coat and a Super Integrated Coating have been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by three stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Rotating tripod collar benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Compatible with optional AF-S Teleconverter TC-14, TC-17, and TC-20 teleconverters.