Nikon 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 Overview
Spanning a long-reaching range, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR is an 82.5-450mm-equivalent telephoto zoom for DX-format Nikon DSLRs. Its optical design feature of pair of extra-low dispersion elements along with one high refractive index element, which help to reduce both chromatic and spherical aberrations in order to realize a high degree of sharpness and clarity. A Super Integrated Coating has also been applied to control flare and ghosting in order to increase contrast and color accuracy when working in harsh lighting conditions. Benefitting the lens’s long reach is Vibration Reduction, which compensates for up to three stops of camera shake to promote sharper handheld imagery. Additionally, a Silent Wave Motor is also featured to provide fast and near-silent autofocus performance and full-time manual focus adjustment override.
- Telephoto zoom is designed for DX-format Nikon F-mount cameras and provides an 82.5-450mm equivalent focal length.
- One high refractive index element is used to reduce spherical aberrations, field curvature, and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- A Super Integrated Coating has been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
- VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by three stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.